Prior to joining Innovatus Capital Partners, LLC, Mr. Hobson was a senior financial executive at Univision for over twenty years. His long and successful tenure at Univision began as a member of the three-person team responsible for executing A. Jerrold Perenchio’s leveraged buyout acquisition of Univision from Hallmark Cards in 1992. At varying times during his time at Univision, Mr. Hobson was responsible for financial reporting, tax, treasury, risk management, financial and strategic planning, capital allocation, banking, investor relations, affiliate relations, information technology, procurement, human resources and corporate administration.
While Mr. Hobson formally became CFO in 2005, he was responsible for many traditional CFO activities throughout his career at Univision, including its period as a public company from 1996 through 2007. These duties included mergers and acquisitions, investments, debt and equity capital market transactions, research analyst and investor relations, financial planning and budgeting, treasury and capital allocation.
Over the course of his membership of the senior executive team, Univision’s revenues grew from $180 million to $2.9 billion and EBITDA from $38 million to $1.25 billion. Mr. Hobson managed staffs of as many as 400 employees through up to twelve direct reports. He raised tens of billions in debt and equity financing, including the following events:
- Led Univision’s 1996 IPO.
- Initiated and/or negotiated, executed and integrated over 25 acquisitions and complex joint ventures.
- Led $375 million equity private placement with a strategic shareholder in 2001.
- Supported Univision’s private equity shareholders in arranging $10.2 billion in financing for their 2007 LBO, the largest covenant-lite term loan ever completed at the time.
- Supported Univision’s private equity shareholders in a $1.2 billion convertible debt and equity private placement with a strategic shareholder in 2010.
- Designed and implemented a refinancing and maturity-extension strategy for Univision’s balance sheet, affecting issuances totaling over $21 billion from 2009-2015, consistently achieving cost of capital well below index levels
- Prepared Univision for intended 2015 IPO, delayed due to media market headwinds
Mr. Hobson has enjoyed a successful career building and leading teams of finance executives that intensely focus on the imperative of value creation while working hand-in-glove with operating executives to selflessly and creatively solve problems, develop and execute on value creating strategies. As described above, he has deep experience leading and structuring transactions at various places in capital structures and economic cycles.
Prior to his career with Univision, Mr. Hobson worked for Chartwell Partners, LLC (the private investment company of A. Jerrold Perenchio), and Bankers Trust Company.
He received a B.S.E. in both finance and accounting, magna cum laude, from the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.